Baitcasting can be a bit difficult, but with practice, it can be mastered. Best accessories for bait-casters is having the best baitcasting reel. Find everything on best baitcasting reels in this article.
Baitcasting is one style of fishing used by angler fishers and dates back to late 1870’s. The baitcasting reel is suitable for catching big fishes like bass, tuna, marlin or northern pike.
So, here, in this post, I will not only tell you how to find a most befitted baitcasting reel but will give you first-hand review on top baitcasting reels In the market.
Today there is a number of varieties of baitcasting reel available in the market, so it becomes a bit difficult in finding that one best baitcasting reel.
Read along to find out more!
Well, I have now more than a decade of experience in baitcasting and my friends now look to me for advice. So, this piece of information goes to all those new to baitcasting or looking for some help in choosing a suitable baitcasting reel.
A baitcaster or baitcasting reel is a medium to hook on an Artificial lure to cast a Bait. It does take time to master this technique, and a good baitcasting reel is a valuable asset. It helps in accurate casting and allows you to stop the lure anywhere in midair.
7 Best Baitcasting Reel Under 100 2018 – Comparisons
Where to Buy
Top 8 Best Baitcasting Reel Under 100 – Reviews 2018
1. Abu Garcia BMAX3 Baitcast Fishing Reel
Looking for a good baitcasting reel in a minimum budget? Your search ends with the Abu Garcia BMAX3. Built with the latest technology deep embedded aluminum spool, this baitcasting reel is real value for your money.
If you are a beginner or have a limited budget, this reel is a best budget baitcasting reel and a good investment.
If you are still confused, I hope these features might help you make your mind.
● Powerfully built with sturdy spool head
● Lightweight, sleek and stylish
● One piece Graphite body and side plates
● Effortless fishing experience with ball bearing 4 in number and roller bearing 1 in number made of stainless steel
● Superior casting with support to variety of lures
● Ergonomic design for comfortable fishing experience all day
At a meager price of $42, the Abu Garcia is an entire budget reel.
I purchased this reel only a few months back, but my friend had it since last summer. It is indeed a value for money bait caster. You can cast and retrieve the reel quickly. I did even get lucky with some really good catches. Hit the only concern with it is its durability.
Yes, it’s not very durable, means it won’t last with you many summers, but given the price, I guess affording one every one or two season is still a great deal.
2. Abu Garcia Revo SX Baitcast Fishing Reel – Our Top Picks
Fishing is an excellent fun and adventure sport as well. If you are planning to give it a shot or have already started, then the Abu Garcia Revo SX is the best baitcasting reel for beginners.
It is a low profile fishing reel that gives beginners a good chance to understand the casting and retrieving skill.
Let’s weigh its features to understand its merits.
● The frame is made of X2 crafting alloy and side plates made of C6 carbon, making it ultra light in weight, suitable for long hour fishing.
● Has a consistent and smooth drag system
● Corrosion resistant ball bearings 9 in number and one roller bearing
● It comes with extended bent cracking handle and a more powerful knob to pull even hard fish
● Durable frame, with perfectly fitted spool and cushioned handle for comfortable all day fishing experience
Although I haven’t used it personally, a close friend of mine gave me an excellent review of the product. He had used it several numbers of time now and is very happy with the product.
With a price band of $100-$150, It is a better choice for many new bait casters. It has no backlash problem and you can through at least 8 to 10 rounds. All in all, a good deal for people investing in fishing reps for the first time.
3. Daiwa Coastal TWS Reel
If you are looking for the best saltwater baitcasting reel,this is where your search ends.
The Daiwa Coastal TWS is made of corrosion resistant body including the Bella bearings and roller bearing.
One thing that survives salt water and makes the reel durable is the corrosion-resistant material used in making it.
With first-hand experience of using this great masterpiece, I have the chance to highlight to you it’s equally great features.
● Comes with a 100mm swept handle and a beautiful EVA custom handle knob for effortless cranking with more power
● Its spool is made of aircraft grade aluminum and can fit 35 more line than any other reel
● It has a 154 lbs drag, and that is pretty amazing
● Has a durable and robust inshore reel
● An aircraft grade aluminum bearing system with 8 ball bearing and 1 roller bearing.
Well, at least that is what I call a good bait! The Daiwa Coastal TWS is your asset in saltwater baitcasting, one that can win you tournaments as well. All in all a good bet for a price range of $100-$200. Well, I couldn’t judge it for any demerits as I found it just perfect. Hope you like it too.
Next in line is a superb pick that I am sure you must have laid your hands on if you are a pro baitcaster, but if you have missed it, here is something you just cannot afford to lose.
4. Shimano Calcutta B Fishing Reel
If you are looking for unmatched quality, durability, dependability, and versatility your search ends here.
The Shimano Calcutta B is everything you want from the best baitcasting reel for the money.
Most of all you will be charmed by its stylish golden looks.
Let’s take a look at what this “ Prince” as I say it, has to offer.
● It can be used in both freshwater and saltwater; not that is one pocket saver as well.
● Has a Dartanium drag of max 17.5 lbs and anti-corrosion bearing system of 3+1
● Gives you 24 line retrieve per crank
● Weighs around 11.7 oz
It’s ultra light, super strong and very well built. If you are looking for a versatile reel that stays with you for a long time giving you the full value of your money, you won’t find a better choice.
Mark my words, ones you use it, you will fall in love with this. So smooth and sturdy, fishing had never been more fun.
5. Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beast Baitcasting Reel
Well, the name is enough! It is a beast in fishing reels. That means you can catch big be it a Muskie or a Redfish.
So if you are looking for a perfect baitcaster that helps you in baiting for super trophy fishes and win your day, this should be your choice.
Take a look at its features, and you will know why this reel is the beat
● Great for hard pulling fishes
● Superior power to crank with precision and force
● Good line capacity for big catches
● Comes with a carbon matrix drag system and unmatched smoothness
● Has an attractive feature of active response drag mechanism
● Designed to provide Exceptional castability
● InfiniMAX braking system that provides nearly limitless casting control to anglers
● Anti-corrosive frame made from X-crafting alloy, spools made from aircraft grade aluminum and heavy duty Duragear design
If the price is not your constraint, this is a must-have for any fisher. Although the price range is a bit on the higher side the quality, precision, and results of effortless baitcasting you derive from this gem of a reel, it’s worth every bit spent on it.
One of the reviewers did call it beauty and the beast and probably its apt for it.
6. Daiwa Lexa HD Baitcasting Reel
The Daiwa reels are famous for their low profile reels, but with the Lexa, they have launched their Heavy duty reel as well.
The Lexa HD is the extreme baitcaster for inshore bait, and with a stainless steel frame, it sure is heavy duty.
Take a look at its features and find out yourself.
● Hyper gear ratio of 811
● Comes with 6 corrosion-resistant ball bearing and perfectly placed EVA knob
● Carbon drag for maximum power and extensive adjustment for dragging heavy baits
● Aluminum frame and side plates
● Incredible drag up to 25 pounds
This said the Daiwa provides multiple ranges of Lexa HD baitcaster so you can pick the one that best suits your needs. Ranging from a moderate price of $250 to $ 750, it is an asset that will stay with you for long. With smooth casting and retrieving with excellent drag, the Lexa HD is a must buy.
For those of you who are little tight on budget but what to buy a value for money baitcasting reel then I present to you the affordable range.
7. Abu Garcia BMAX3 Baitcasting Reel
A low profile baitcasting reel that you can buy for only $40 online. Yes, this sounds so amazingly perfect.
If I were new to baitcasting with limited money to spend on reels, I would have taken this call, and fortunately, I have enough to support my claim.
● Superbly built strong aluminum spool
● Ergonomically designed bent spool that profited comfort even fishing all day long
● Sleek and attractive with a one-piece graphite frame
● 4 stainless steel BB and 1 RB provides effortless retrieve and operation
● Magtrax brake system offers excellent castability
● Increased cast range
It won’t be wrong that there are many better options in the market, but given the price and its feature and all that it’s offering, the Abu Barcia BMAX3 becomes an unmatched performer in this range.
The only issues that I had were that it didn’t last long. The reel does not have a perfect life, but at least it’s best till it continues.
A game changer with a rigid Hegane metal body, the Shimano curado is in the race. Impact resistance and technology that lessens fiction, it is a must have baitcasting reel.
Being in a moderate price range and all that it has to offer, it becomes a winner.
Let me underline you it’s features
● S3D design for decreased vibration
● Increased spool control with the new SVS infinity technology
● HEG design with one piece metal frame
● Pension gears and larger drive providing increased leverage
● Comes with 5 BB and 1 RB, with S A-RB that prevent the sand and salt it interfere with the function of the bearing
● Weighs 7.4 oz and has a drag power of 12 lbs
With use, I find it useful and very smooth. Cranking and retrieving is very easy and effortless. All in all, value for money, with high quality and output.
The Globeride incorporations manufacturers fishing gears under the brand name Daiwa. It’s a Japanese company founded in 1958 with subsidiaries across the globe. The fishing gears manufactured to account for the majority of sales made by Globeride Inc. its fishing gears are of top quality make and are exported throughout the world. Along with fishing rods and reels, it also manufactures biking, golf, and tennis gears.
TOP 3 BAITCASTING REEL BRANDS
Abu Garcia: Originally formed in Sweden in 1921, Abu Garcia was then taken by an American company Newell Rubbermaid. The company manufactures fishing reels and other fishing equipment. The Abu Garcia provides highly detailed and precise fishing reels and lines for anglers. With a community of more than seven hundred thousand followers, it is one of the most sought after fishing accessories brand in the world.
Shimano : A Japanese multinational company that manufactured sports goods and equipment with superior technology and designs. In last one decade, the company grew into a giant that captured fishing tackle industry producing technically superior fishing gears. Founded in the year 1921, the company is a public company with stocks traded on the stock market. Its 93 million shares are commonly traded stock while its fishing tackles contribute 19% of total sales.
Daiwa : The Globeride incorporations manufacturers fishing gears under the brand name Daiwa. It’s a Japanese company founded in 1958 with subsidiaries across the globe. The fishing gears manufactured to account for the majority of sales made by Globeride Inc. its fishing gears are of top quality make and are exported throughout the world. Along with fishing rods and reels, it also manufactures biking, golf, and tennis gears.To find a perfect reel, you have to understand these critical features
How to Choose a Baitcasting Reel?
Spool size: The spool size will always be directly proportional to the bait you are pursuing. That means if you want to catch a large fish, the spool has to be larger and deeply build as the fishing line has to be equally heavy.
Gear ratio: Gear ratio is one thing you cannot skip. It’s the gear ratio that determines your speed to retrieve the lure. The gear ratio means the how many times the spool will rotate if you rotate the handle ones. You will learn about a gear ration written on the body of the reel.
A gear ratio of 5:1 is average while any ratio lower than this is slow and higher is faster. So it all depends on the lure you are attaching and the kind of fish you are after.
Comfort: Despite all the technical stuff I am telling you, one thing you cannot skip is your comfort level. Never miss to check the baitcasting reel for comfort in your hands, it’s weight, grip, and balance between rod and reel. Remember more comfortable you are in casting the bait; better will be your chances of success.
Okay, now you know how to find that perfect piece of baitcasting reel to catch a good score. Moving down to different varieties of baitcasting reels in the market and their reviews, here is a quick sneak peek ( and yes, don’t forget to tell me which ones is your favorite of all, in the comment section below).
I hope this blog will help you find the one best baitcasting reel that you are looking for and your search effort will be minimized.
Wishing all the luck to you! Keep fishing and enjoy!